The Proposal


Mitch's Story

Our Engagement story….

I knew I was going to ask Amy to marry me the second we made the plunge to start over again…

When we got back together Amy and I were living apart. She was working as a contract Animator with Fischer Price in Buffalo, NY while I was working as a Theater Technical Director in Utica, NY. The three-hour commute was less than dazzling however it was only temporary! The contract was only a ten month run. At the end of those ten horribly long months, Amy was going to move in with me in Utica and leave the commute behind so we could live together.

The day she planned on moving in was the day I was going to propose…

We planned for the day. May 1st.

I had spent the last few weeks getting to know my jeweler really well. I poured over what type of ring I wanted to get her and finally decided to have it made. The ring came in two weeks before she was to move in… I could not wait. I was so excited.

But I had already hatched my surprise plan…

Amy was to arrive to a fully decorated house full of balloons, two dozen roses, decorations and a “welcome home” sign.

I was waiting for her to come home she was so surprised at my decorations. She was glowing. After we got a couple of her things settled in I took her out to dinner. Meanwhile all of our family was gathering for a celebratory dessert and champagne reception.

When we arrived back at my apartment, I got the text from my mom that everyone was there and it was “a go”.

I slipped into my room and grabbed the box, got down on one knee and presented her a great gleaming blue sapphire surrounded by diamonds…

I said “Amy I love you today, tomorrow and the rest of my life… will you make me the happiest man in the world?”

Amy said with a cry “Yes!” Shaking her head up and down.

But wait! There’s more I said… get your jacket… Amy: “Uh what?”

A block down the street some friends of mine had arranged the Stanley theater for our dessert reception and placed our photo on the marquee. “OH MY GOD!” she yelled when she saw the photo of our faces. (She thought that was it)

Me: “C’mon lets go!” Amy: “Uh what?”…

We: opened the doors to cheering, surrounded by family, champagne… and a whole pile of specialty desserts from Utica’s premier confectionary.


So far that was the happiest day of my life… and after our wedding day on August 27th with you there… that night will take its rightful place… 2nd. ;)